Thursday, March 26, 2009

Over my head?

I am well aware of how my obsessive/compulsive tendencies often get me into trouble. Pair them with chronic fatigue and what almost seems like a bipolar habit of DIVING completely into a new hobby and then setting it aside and not doing much with it again (ex. cross stitching, painting...I'm sure there are more)

I know that every time I start something new my husband expects it to be like that again. Where I will spend LOTS of money on the stuff I "need" to complete said hobby but after a week or so everything is sitting around collecting dust.

It's been more than two weeks since I bought my first fish. And would certainly not say that I am tired of them. Quite the opposite I love them and am fascinated by them, much more than I expected to be.

The problem is I love them TOO much. I have become consumed by them, so of course other things have to take a backseat. I hope Jonathan (My RSN governor doesn't read this) but I actually passed up a Red Sox/Yankees game to stay online and learn about my fish. And those of you who know me, know that my love of baseball and the Red Sox is one of those manic obsessive things that has NOT gone away and has continued strong since I got into watching baseball three years ago.

I will say this for my fishy crew, they get me out of bed in the morning. The first thing I do every morning is check on each of them, feed them, and (because I'm paranoid) make sure no one is "floating". They each have their personalities.

To me, Ned seems sort of cat-like, in that, he is coy about coming around to be close to be when I am next to the tank. He normally only comes around when he can make it at least seem like it was "his" idea. Much like my cat.
Olive, is the opposite, she is more like a dog. (and there for I tend to favor her a little) She does pay attention to me, and will come to the side of the bowl when I'm around. (mostly I think she's begging for food- not unlike my dog, but I'd like to think it's because she wants to be with me) This might also explain why i've recently noticed she's a bit pudgy. :)
The twins- Digby and Pigby, I dont see them much even when I'm looking for them because they blend in to the tank so well. Digby is still the most active but Pigby has improved.
Charlotte, I don't know yet what I would say about her personality. She is spunky though, clearly, to be so tiny and sick, but she keeps swimming, I'm not sure she realizes she is so small or sick. She's still not as sure about whether she wants to be "close" to me or not. But loves eating. I have to remember that though she is so small and needs the nourishment, too much food would not help her.

Here is the problem. I love my fish. But there are days, like the days where it exhausts me just to do partial water changes on a one gallon bowl and Charlotte's little condo that is less than a gallon, when I think I've bitten off more than I can chew. I've moved to far. I am responsible for these little beautiful creatures, but feel so clueless. If it weren't for the gentle patience and loving acceptance of all the people at Aquarium Nation. (www.aquariumnation.com) I would have failed long ago, but they continue to take me by the hand and teach me. But it's not like I can call someone up when I run into a problem. And the internet, though it is a great tool, only frustrates me because everyone has their own styles and ways of taking care of their fish. And I end up reading so many contradictory articles. It just makes me want to throw my hands up! It makes me feel like I'm drowning. Especially considering that I'm purposely taking in fish who are sick or weak... and I've only been doing this for like three weeks. I know that some times fish just die. (so far mine have not) And I've heard many people say that they've never been able to keep a betta live for longer than a couple of weeks or months. I havent even been doing this for a month yet and I'm already doing betta hospice care and talking about doing foster care. What if suddenly they all die and I realize I was doing something wrong?

I know nothing about most of the water level stuff, I just go off what people tell me and pray my fish are hardy enough to live through my mistakes.

So as for now, we're all still swimming. I am going to keep trying to do the right thing for my little brood, I'm going to continue learning and seeking information. And I'm hoping to continue to get the opportunity to GIVE information as well since so many people don't realize just what kind of care Bettas needs.

Until next time, BIG shout-outs to Aquarium Nation, by far the best fish lover community anyway. And to Sea Dreams the best aquarium store I have found in Wichita, and to Lynne the owner, for helping me out in my mission to heal some of those poor sick beautiful fish.
Charlotte's condo:
Photobucket


Charlotte now.
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment